You may be sceptical, but it is possible to have simplicity in your life. Do you ever feel that you would enjoy life a little more if it wasn’t so hectic? In most cases I find that clients can make their lives much simpler and more enjoyable, by removing the things from their life that don’t matter and replacing them with the things that do. If you’re looking to simplify your life, a few habits practised daily can make a massive difference.
Simplify your life by Remove clutter and distractions:
- Don’t put it down, put it away!!. It’s possible to prevent most of the clutter in your home by putting things away when you’ve finished using them. Everything that you have to pick up and put away is something that someone failed to put back in the proper place. The basis for this tip came Francine Stanley, who commented on a previous article ‘8 Simple Tips to Supercharge Your Productivity’ that “When my children were young, I used to tell them, “Don’t put it down, put it away.” Perhaps this is a rule that you could enforce with all members of your family.
- Pay your bills regularly. Stay on top of your bills and avoid late fees by setting aside a set amount of time either weekly or monthly to pay bills. You may not realise it, but outstanding bills weigh heavily on the mind. Take care of them regularly.
- Keep your fuel tank at least half-full. We have all experienced the frustration of needing to refuel when we’re in a hurry. If your tank is always at least half-full, you can get fuel at your leisure. How convenient! You’ll also have a buffer if you’re running low on cash.
- Think like a Scout and be prepared. It’s vital that you try to build an emergency cash fund, any financial hiccup feels like a catastrophe if you don’t have any savings. Start by saving whatever you can. A small emergency fund can make a huge difference and it will help you to sleep better at night.
- Spend 15 minutes tidying the house each night. Make it a family ritual. Set a timer for 15 minutes and have a competition to see who can get the most done.
- Declutter one drawer or cupboard each day. Clutter begins in those areas that you can’t always see and then when it can no longer be contained it spreads to other areas of the house. Declutter drawers and cupboards on a regular basis and get rid of the items you no longer need.
- Create a basic filing system. At the very least, assign a file drawer in a desk as the home of your filing system. There are also portable containers that hold file folders. Organize your important papers, paid and unpaid bills, and anything else that needs to be saved.
- Reduce your television time. Eliminating one television show from your life and use the time for something more enjoyable or constructive can be hugely beneficial. Be creative, what could you do with the time?
- Put the technology away for at least an hour each night. Put your phone, tablet and coputer away and interact with your immediate environment. Maybe you could read a book on simplicity.
- Get ready for tomorrow, tonight. Rather than rushing around first thing in the morning, give yourself a more relaxed start to the day. Instead of making lunches and searching for papers or clean clothes, get everything ready the evening before. Your mornings will be much more peaceful and being late will become a distant memory.
You may have noticed that in order to simplify your life, you need to be doing a few simple things each day? It only takes a few, new habits to enhance your life and create a greater sense of well-being. Simplicity doesn’t require a complicated system, in fact simplicity should be well, simple.
You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Till Next Time
Mike Gardner is The Time Doctor