We all have those days when we find it difficult to stay focused and complete tasks because it becomes too hard to concentrate on finishing what we set out to do? When this happens it’s easy to become distracted but there are several ways to calm your mind and stay focused, so that you can give yourself the satisfaction of achieving what you’ve set out to do.
The following six strategies will help you to stay focused and get more done:
1. Start early. If you have a difficult or tedious task to complete, you might be tempted to put it off, this leads to procrastination and can increase your stress, which in turn makes it harder to stay focused on completing the task at hand.
- Getting an early start on boring or demanding work lowers your stress and helps you to stay focused.
2. Take a break. You do not always get more done by keeping your nose to the grindstone, particularly if a task is long or physically demanding. Although it sounds counter intuitive you can maintain greater focus by taking frequent breaks.
- Taking breaks before you’re completely exhausted helps you to come back to your task with your energy levels recharged. When your energy levels are high, you’re more able to concentrate fully on the task at hand.
3. Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Our minds and bodies are designed to work together. Being in good health will help to reduce stress and make it easier to concentrate on your work.
- Maintaining a healthy diet ensures that you get the nutrients that you need for your mind and body to operate at peak performance. When you’re full of energy boosting nutrients, you will feel more energized and are less likely to feel distracted.
- Walking and other moderately physical activities can help you clear your mind. Walking also increases the blood flow to your brain, which can boost your ability to become focused and stay focused.
- Getting enough sleep each day gives you the energy that you need to stop your thoughts from wandering.
- Drink plenty of water each day. Dehydration can sap your energy and ability to think clearly.
4. Practice mindfulness. You can increase your focus if you make a conscious effort to become more aware of your surroundings.
- Practice using all your senses as you experience the people, places, and objects in your environment. Looking at things with a different perspective boosts your creativity and improves focus.
5. Practice meditation. Meditation boosts concentration in several ways.
- Meditation can help you learn progressive relaxation, which helps to reduce the stress and anxiety that make it difficult to concentrate.
- Regularly meditating increases your ability to concentrate and stay focused, and the more you practice, the easier it gets.
6. Eliminate distractions. It’s easier to stay focused and complete tasks when you are free of distractions.
- Before you begin to work on a task, ensure that you have everything you need and make your workspace as comfortable as possible.
Random thoughts and interruptions don’t have to derail your concentration and prevent you from completing your work. Learning how to eliminate distractions and focus your attention will help you lower your stress and finish tasks.
Till Next Time
Mike Gardner is the Time Doctor