Do you ever yearn for “me time?” You know that time that you have just for yourself with no interruptions, sometimes even a few minutes would do the trick. Although your responsibilities may at times seem overwhelming, to be at your best you must create more time for yourself.
Below you will find some ideas and inspirations that will help you make a little more time just for you.
1. Wake up an hour earlier in the morning.
You may well think that more sleep is what you need, but try it for a few days a week.
- Mornings are usually quiet and interruption-free, making them an ideal time to enjoy in your favorite activities.
- Read a good book for an hour, meditate, practice yoga. It will be a great start to the day and you can enjoy them without phones ringing or someone demanding your attention.
2. Make your evenings me time.
Late evening can be ideal for capturing some personal time. Particularly if you have young children the hour or so between them going to bed and you turning in, can be used to recharge your batteries.
- I appreciate that you may well use this time to tidy the house, do the washing and ironing or other pressing activities, but why not make one night a week sacred and uninterruptable. This evening is just for you to enjoy doing what you want.
3. Always take a book with you.
You’ll be surprised at how often you can get a few minutes to read a page or two.
- Many people are allowed two 15 minute breaks at work, but don’t take them, why not grab a coffee and up on your reading.
- Do you use public transport? This can be a great time to catch up on your reading whilst travelling to and from work.
4. Wherever you are, appreciate its beauty.
These days life is so busy, people are rushing from place to place or task to task. In doing so, they often miss the things that go on around them. Make a point of savouring the richness of nature and the environment around you.
- For example, during your walk to the bus or train station, notice the flowers, bushes, and trees surround you. Take time to listen to the birds singing or perhaps just enjoy the warmth of the sun on your skin.
- Take the time to observe the growth of plants and animals as they grow and develop throughout the seasons, it really is one of nature’s greatest shows.
5. Use technology to indulge in me time.
You can use technology to help you capture personal time throughout your day.
- Use you iPad or Smartphone to enjoy your favourite music, listen to a podcast of your favourite television or radio show, watch a video, learn a new language, the list is endless.
6. Involve your partner.
Being part of a loving partnership can be extremely helpful when trying to find some personal time. Let your partner know that you need to find more personal time to pursue activities that interest you.
- Negotiate a couple of hours a week to do whatever your heart desires.
- Agree that your partner gets an equal amount of personal time as well. That way you both get me time, and you help to protect each others time from interruptions.
7. Use a babysitter.
If you are a single parent can you ask a friend, family member or neighbour to trade babysitting for a few hours a week.
- This sort of arrangement ensures you get me time each week and you are helping them to get some me time as well. A true win-win situation.
Making time for you will not be easy at first. However, with some creative thinking and a little planning, it is possible to get a few hours week to yourself. Consider the ideas above as a starting point. After all, you deserve it!
Do you have any other ideas, if so leave a comment and let me know what they are.
Till Next Time
The Time Doctor – Mike Gardner