In order to meet your daily deadlines and to succeed in both life and your career, it’s important to stay focused where possible. However, maintaining high levels focus and concentration isn’t always easy to achieve. There always seems to be something that gets in the way Someone calls a meeting that you have to attend, a client presents you with an urgent problem that they expect you to solve, or you get called and told that you have to collect your child from school as they are not very well.
Implementing the following eight strategies in to your work routine will help you to stay focused and take these normal interruptions in your stride.
1. Prioritise, Prioritise, Prioritise Setting priorities is a key part of planning your day. Schedule the most difficult tasks for a time of day when your energy levels are at their highest. When prioritising your day, make an action list of your required tasks. This will help to keep you to stay organised as you progress through your day.
2. Limit time wasting distractions and interruptions. Keep your work area as free from distractions and interruptions as possible by maintaining quiet surroundings.
- Get into the habit of ask others to wait until you’re finished with what needs to be completed before helping them with something they need done. If you have an office, consider setting specific times when you close the door and make yourself unavailable, people will soon realise that during these times you’re working and not available for questions at the time.
3. Have some fun. Despite what you have been told you’re allowed to enjoy your work. In fact, those who do enjoy their time at work are often proved to be more efficient. Identify something that you enjoy about your job. Develop a heightened ability to focus on your work by having some fun on a daily basis.
4. Stop making things difficult. As the saying goes “there’s more than one way to skin a cat” and the same is true of many of the tasks we have to complete. Look at the options available and pick the way that is easiest for you to achieve a satisfactory, or even exemplary, result.
- Experiment with a number of different approaches and discover the one that works best for you.
5. Stretch and Stay Focused. Does your job require you to sit for most of the day, if so consider taking breaks to stretch and move around? Perhaps take a short walk outside. When you get back to your desk, you’ll feel refreshed and be better able to focus on your work.
6. Grab a coffee. Many people enjoy a coffee during their workday. If this is you, go ahead and partake and enjoy. As a stimulant, coffee may help you to stay focused on what you need to do. If coffee isn’t for you, water is always a wonderful, refreshing choice.
7. Get your eyes checked. If you start to develop regular headaches or have a challenge with concentrating, you may have an issue with your vision. Have your eyes checked on a regular basis.
- If you work at a computer screen, make sure that from time to time you glance away from the screen in order to take the strain off of your eyes and refresh your thought processes.
If you implement some or all of these tips each day, you will quickly enhance your ability to stay focused and concentrate on the goals that you have set for yourself.
Ps – If you have found these tips useful you may like to consider joining my Facebook Group, The Time Management Academy. The group has nearly five hundred members who along with myself, are dedicated to sharing skills, techniques and resources in order to significantly benefit you in your journey to have more control of their time and a more balanced life.
Click here to join The Time Management Academy
Till Next Time
Mike Gardner is The Time Doctor