In this fast paced and hectic world, everybody needs to become a Time Management Master; it is fast becoming one of the most sought after skills and is viewed as compulsory to those who wish to become super – successful, doing everything they want to, in order to achieve this level of success, I firmly believe that most people need to DOUBLE your level of time management proficiency.
You can make a start very easily by doing these things NOW:
1. Identify and remove the time wasters in your life. Time wasters are those things that you spend time doing, but you wouldn’t have chosen to if given the choice. Identifying and removing these time wasters is essential if you are to improve your time management.
- Email - If you check your e-mail more than 3 times a day (unless it is a DEFINITE requirement of your role) then you’re checking it to often!
- Telephone - When you answer the phone during your productive time you sacrifice both your time management and efficiency because it interrupts your thought flow and this kills your productivity. If you’re answering your phone more than 5 times a day (unless it is a DEFINITE requirement of your role) then you’re checking it to often!
- Television - In order to have ultimate control over your time, try to limit the time you spend watching TV, try to cut down the amount of time you spend watching it by an hour and use that hour to be more productive in another area, especially if you don’t achieve all the things you need or want to.
2. Do you know and appreciate the things that are genuinely important in your life? Once you are truly aware of these things, you must give them the priority they deserve. Prioritisation is one of the keys to time management, you must know what you want to accomplish and why, you can then put a plan into place to achieve what you want. Today’s world is full of distractions and if you allow them to become a priority, you sacrifice both your time management and your dreams. Follow these steps:
- Identify and write a list of the things you want to accomplish
- Identify and write why you want to accomplish those things
- Set realistic time frames for the accomplishment of the items listed above
- Rate each Item and organise in order of importance
- Create a plan for the achievement of each of your goals in its respective time frame
3. In order to be successful you must focus on your management of time throughout the day. Once you have identified your goals and priorities, you must focus on achieving them, this means putting you first; if something isn’t on your goals list for this week, don’t do it until all your goals are complete. If you continue to give every interruption the same priority as your goals, you will never accomplish the things that are important to you. Instead, you will be a slave to interruptions and probably feel like you never accomplish enough.
Till Next Time
Mike Gardner – The Time Doctor